i was told off just a little this weekend for bringing home another chair. i have a thing for bowls, and chairs.
i’m not sure if the ability to see diamonds in the rough is a blessing or a curse. here’s how I see the top 5 reasons to bring home some old stuff:
- (sometimes) you save a bit of money if you buy used things over new (generally speaking. I’m not talking original 17th century handmade french chairs) especially if they need some love.
- you’re giving stuff with good bones a new life and keeping perfectly good things out of the landfill.
- no one else will have what you have. your style emerges when you find and buy what speaks to you.
- you can make it your own with paint, fabric, or whatever other upcycling talents you have
- it’s just fun, don’t you think??
aberfoyle, ontario boasts a mighty good antique/jumble sale, held every sunday with some special shows in the spring and fall. i wait all year to wander the hundred or so stalls and find some great things. this weekend i discovered a stall called “White”. french chairs were covered in aged linen, furniture painted white, old trunks and mirrors. pure heaven.
so i brought home a duck-egg blue folding chair ($20) and (another) white-ware bowl ($14)